Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Unit 8

I have found meditation and visualization to be the most beneficial practices that I have learned throughout this course.  The meditation practices help clear my mind and boost my mood.  The visualization practices help me feel appreciative and more loving towards the things I do have instead of dwelling on my faults or misfortunes.  Whether the visualization practice has me seeing negative or positive things I always end the session feeling blessed to have those experiences to look back on or forward to. 
I know that I will use meditation and visualization practices to strengthen my mental fitness.  I have benefited from them so much already and I'm only at a novice level.  I can only imagine how I will feel when I practice daily and become an expert.  I plan on seeking out guided visualization practices and meditative practices like the ones we have experienced throughout this course.  I have already committed 10minutes every morning and evening to meditation.  Once I find some more practices I wanted to expand to 30 minutes twice a day.  Once I achieve that I will assess what the next step will be for my mental fitness, but for now I'll just focus on my current goals.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Kayla,
    Isn't amazing how well these exercises work. I have to admit I was very skeptical at first. I really hated to take the time to the exercises, I thought I could be doing something more productive. In fact, the first few times I did the vizualizations and meditatios exercises I could not concentrate becaues I was so close minded about the concept. I kept doing them though because I could not do my work in the class if I didn't . After just a short while I noticed how focusing on the exercise became easier and I really started noticing the benefits of it. I still don't use the music provided on the CD, it was to distracting. I actually like to do them to the sound of my box fan, kind of stange I know. Well, good luck with your goals and your mental fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is great. Imagine if everyone in America got the benefits you experienced. It would be a different world. I think the calmness of mind and the boost in mood is an effect that should be encouraged by more doctors.

    I am encouraged by your post and your didication. I look forward to seeing your final report as I am sure you will have a great program for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, your dedication to continuing the mediation and visualization techniques in the future is wonderful. Reaching your goals and mental fitness will help achieve everything in life that you totally deserve. This class has really been an eye opening experience for me. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you have already dedicated time each day for the practices. I think if anything will trip me up in my personal meditation it will be how much time I allow myself. It is so easy to get caught up in the day's activities and before you know it, time for bed. I need to follow your lead and dedicate certain times, even if for just 10 minutes, to get me started. It seems you are going to do great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayla:

    After reviewing your post, I am impressed that you have been so diligent in keeping these therapies up on a daily basis. I have felt that that this weeks visualization exercise on happiness and joy were very enlightening. I actually got to feel a touch of happiness. I have to say, you do have some interesting activity on your blog. I look forward to being able to catch upand read more. I agree that that these exercises did strengthen my mental fitness and helped to train my mind to think more positivelu.

    Yours in health,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete