Sunday, January 9, 2011

Loving Kindness exercise

The loving kindness exercise was surprisingly difficult for me.  I couldn't get my mind to stop racing, but that could be because my husband just told me he wants to move to California.  I have so much going on in my life already that I don't even want to think about moving!  But, I tried my hardest to calm my mind and focus on the exercise and can see how it can really help you.  I think that if I tried it again later that it would make me appreciate my loved ones and see them as a calming source rather than turmoil : ) 
I would definitely recommend this exercise to others as it never hurts to try relaxation techniques. 
Mental workouts are like physical workouts.  You dedicate a predetermined amount of time for meditation and things like the loving kindness exercises.  The more you physically workout the stronger you become and the more benefits you see.  The more mental workouts you complete the more expanded your mind becomes and the easier it is for you to meditate and relax for longer periods of time. This practice will help individuals develop their psychological well being and contemplative practices. Right now I think that the first relaxation technique is the most beneficial to me, so, once I can move on from that I will be more mentally prepared to take on the loving kindness exercise.  I would like to dedicate 10-15min. in the morning to mental workouts through meditation and another 10-15min. before bed.  I believe the morning sessions will help prepare my mind for the day and the night time sessions will help calm my mind from the day's events. 

5 comments:

  1. Kayla,
    That is great that you are looking at ways that you can incorporate it into your life. Remember that you can practice these exercises for shorter periods of time throughout the day to make it more manageable. Definately try this exercise again when you do not have so much going on.
    Good luck with your decision on moving. Just pray about it and leave it in Gods hands. Good luck and God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your writing style. You seem very honest and blunt, which is refreshing. Even though I tried to complete my exercises when my six year old and two toddlers weren't around I still found my thoughts drifting back to them. I'd like some peaceful reflection time when I'm not thinking about them. As a parent, of course you know that this doesn't mean I don't love them, but it does mean that I want them out of my head (thoughts) for some portion of the day so I can get person-centered. I like your ideas of meditating twice a day, morning and evening, as a great way to begin and end the day. I think I will try it too. Hey Cali's not that bad if you don't mind the fires and potential for drifting out into the ocean, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not find it soothing either and perhaps I did it incorrectly. I explained in my post that it is extremely subjective and could be done differently person to person.

    I can relate to moving as my house is my calm center and change in general has always been difficult for me. I have really worked on this over the last few years as change has been good. There is a balance to this however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kayla:

    The relaxation therapies were difficult for me as well. The reading does say that you have to keep practicing, so that we get our mind where it needs to be open to receive the relaxation that we are looking for. Practce makes perfect.

    As for moving, I have just downsized from my five bedroom house to a two bedroom condo and am finding that there is no time yet to even put my feet up because I am still emptying my two and half car garage in order to complete the sale of the home. This task has been so overwhelming. I look forward to those days that I will be able to relax, but for now I have to work on these little sessions, so I maybe able to handle all of the obstacles like floods in the basement, membership drives for my fitness facility, basketball playoffs, siteen year old tantrums and a soon to be ex husband that is some where in outerplace.

    So with all that said, process this possible move before you repond. Change can be good, so look at the big picture. It could be a great thing!!!

    You are correct the more you work your mind or body, the stonger and sharper it will be..

    Look forward to your next post.

    Yours in health,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post. I myself would like to dedicate more time to meditation as well. It's just not something that I am use to. It is going take some work to get the full benefit of meditation. I believe that it does wonders for eleviating stress. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete